The knees suffer a lot of wear and tear due to constant movement. There is no specific age for knee pain it may occur in anyone, be it children, adults, or older people. In fact, women are more prone to knee pain than men because of their anatomical structure and menstruation.
It’s important to detect the exact location of the pain to treat it better. It may originate from any of the bony structures comprising,
- Knee Joints – Femur, tibia, and fibula
- Knee cap – Patella
- Ligaments and cartilages – Meniscus
Knee pain can be cured once the exact location of the pain and the cause are diagnosed. It can be diffused by spot treatments or diffusion. It should be treated during the early stages itself when the pain is mild. It may range from minor aches to severe and disabling pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
- Stiffness in the knee
- Numbness in the affected area
- Difficulty in walking
- Unable to stand for long hours
- Difficulty in climbing stairs
Causes of Knee Pain
- Weakened bone structure
- Wear and tear due to aging
- Ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Knee joint dislocation
- Stiffness in joints due to arthritis
- Other chronic ailments
Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Here are a few simple home remedies for knee pain to help you alleviate the pain and give you a little peace of mind. Regular use of these home remedies for knee pain will help you cure your knee pain forever.
1. Cold Compression
Cold compress is very useful in reducing body pain and inflammation. The cold constricts the blood vessels thereby restricting the blood flow to the affected area. It is the best immediate home remedy for knee pain.
- COLDEST KNEE ICE PACK - Designed to reduce swelling and...
- GEL ICE PACK WRAP FOR KNEES - Gel Ice Pack is flexible...
- FASTER RECOVERY - Hands-free Application of Ice &...
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel and place them over the knees for 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day until the pain subsides.
- A bag of frozen peas can also serve the purpose.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used in curing a number of ailments due to its alkalizing effects. It acts as a natural pain killer and also eliminates toxins from the body. In knee pain, ACV can be beneficial because it helps in dissolving the mineral build-up within the joints. It also restores the lubrication in the joints and promotes mobility.
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is...
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered,...
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands...
- Add two teaspoons of ACV in two cups of water and sip this mixture throughout the day.
- Add two cups of ACV to a hot water tub and soak the knees in it for 30 minutes. This should be done once a day before going to bed preferably.
- Mix equal parts of olive oil and ACV and massage this mixture on the affected knees to alleviate the pain faster.
Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce the swelling and pain in the knees. It is great for people suffering from arthritis, muscle strain, or injury. Use this in your daily diet as a natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Boil some freshly grated ginger in a cup of water for 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Add a spoon of honey and lemon juice to this mixture and drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of the swollen knee joints.
- Ginger oil massage is also effective in curing knee pain
Turmeric has a natural compound named curcumin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also widely used in Indian kitchens to reap the benefits of this miraculous spice.
According to National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicines (NCCAM), turmeric slows down the progression of rheumatic arthritis which is one of the major causes of knee pain. It is the best and most effective natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Add one-half spoon of freshly grated ginger and turmeric in a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Drink this twice daily by adding honey.
- Boil one spoon of turmeric in a glass of milk. Add honey and drink this every day.
- Turmeric capsules can be taken every day with a dosage of 250mg to 500mg thrice a day.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon or in general citric acid has also been found useful in the treatment of arthritis. It works as a solvent for the uric acid crystal which deposits in the knee joints causing pain and inflammation. A natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Cut one or two lemons into small pieces and tie them to a cotton cloth
- Heat half cup of sesame oil and dip the cloth with lemons in the warm oil
- Place the cloth on the affected knee joints for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat this procedure twice a day to get relief from knee pain
- Drinking a glass of lemon juice on empty stomach also helps in getting rid of the pain in the knees.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has a compound names capsaicin which is acts as a natural pain reliever. It has an analgesic property that provides warmth to the area of application and thus relieves the pain.
- Add two spoons of cayenne pepper to half a cup of warm olive oil and apply this on the affected area twice a day.
- Add half a spoon of cayenne pepper to one cup of apple cider vinegar and apply it to the aching area using a clean washcloth. Leave it for 20 minutes until the inflammation reduces.
- Capsaicin-based gels can also be used directly on the knees to reduce the pain.
Gently massage the knee with essential oil sesame seed oil or medicated Ayurvedic oil. This is a tried and tested method that doctors advise their knee patients.
- SESAME OIL is the most popular oil in Ayurveda that has...
- ITS ABILITY to easily absorb into the skin and carry...
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC and unrefined, this golden oil is...
There are different types of self-massaging techniques you can use. Knead your sore joints with your knuckles, hands, or a massage tool to soothe the pain.
8. Pain Relief Creams & Rubs
Rub the cream on the painful knee area for at least 45 seconds. This ensures that the formula penetrates deep into the nerves for instant relief. One of the main recommended ingredients in these creams and rubs is capsaicin. This is one of the main ingredients found in chili pepper.
- Delivers fast Arthritis Pain Relief
- #1 doctor recommended ingredient
- #1 pharmacist recommended ingredient
Various research establishments found that capsaicin is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis and other nerve-related ailments.
- ❤️NEUROPATHIC PAIN RELIEF CREAM - For Everyone...
- ❤️ODOR-FREE, SCIENCTIFICALLY ESTABLISHED TO WORK -...
- ❤️HIGH DOSES - Of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E. This...
7. R-I-C-E Method
RICE is a popular method to relieve all sorts of injuries, muscle strains, and pains. It is an acronym which stands for,
This is applicable for knee pain also. According to this method, people affected by any of the above-mentioned issues must take ample rest. Ice packs or cold compressions must be used to reduce the pain. Compression bandages must be fastened to the knees securely so that inflammation subsides. Keep the legs at an elevated position in case of injuries and fractures.
Doctors might also suggest certain dietary supplements such as,
- Willow bark
- Ginger extract
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
The following are the alternative therapies for all problems related to knees and joints,
- Tai Chi
- Exercise and Weight Management
- Heat and Cold Therapy
- Herbal Ointment
Knee pain in older people can also be cured if the above therapies and these natural home remedies for knee pain are followed on a regular basis. Use these home remedies for knee pain to cure your knee pain forever.
You can use any of these remedies to get instant knee pain relief but not all are guaranteed to work. Chronic knee pain requires immediate attention from a doctor. The doctor is most likely to perform a physical examination that can include an X-ray and blood tests.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” style=”fancy”]
- Knee pain video.
- Osteoarthritis treatment.
- Osteotomy of the knee