Skin peeling on feet can result in a serious condition of athlete’s foot if not quickly treated. Athlete’s foot can lead to the flaking, scaling, and itching of the skin, especially between the toes.
This can make it uncomfortable for you especially if you’re always scratching your feet. It can also bring about a social stigma as you do not want your friends to see how terrible your feet look.
Causes of Skin Peeling On Feet
The common cause of peeling on feet is lack of moisture or dehydration of feet due to dryness. Dryness causes the skin to shrink and thus, it starts peeling.
- A skin condition called exfoliative dermatitis can also lead to the peeling of the skin.
- Severe sunburns can cause peeling of skin along with reddening and itching.
- Peeling skin syndrome, an inherited and extremely rare skin disorder can also be a possible cause.
- Cracked feet in which dust easily accumulates can lead to a thick peeling of skin on feet.
- Eczema, a skin condition that causes inflammation and blistering, is also known to peel skin.
Treatment of Skin Peeling on Feet
Some of the treatment methods for peeling feet are:
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water so as to hydrate the body and maintain a proper balance of the dermal system. You actually drink more water during summer to keep the feet moisturized.
- Dry skin which causes peeling is often the result of excessive loss of fluid or the inability of the skin surface to retain moisture.
- Apply moisturizers on the feet. You should opt for natural moisturizers like olive and almond oils as other moisturizers could have harmful chemicals that worsen the condition. Massage the moisturizer on the feet daily in the morning and before going to bed.
- Keep your feet clean at all times as dirty feet can provide ideal conditions for the growth of yeast and fungi. These fungal bacteria can lead to skin peeling.
- Use natural skin lotions and creams. These contain essential substances taken from plant extracts that help to promote good skin condition. For example, garlic extracts can easily kill bacteria and fungi that can cause the peeling of your skin.
- Do soak your feet in a lukewarm water mixture. You can mix water with apple cider vinegar which not only keeps your feet moist but also kills the microorganisms that feed on the dead skin cells.
- Always apply sunscreen before leaving the house to prevent them from getting sunburned. You can also use soothing gels like Aloe Vera gel to get rid of peeling sunburn skin. More so, even applying rose water can cure sunburns.
- Apart from following the above-mentioned tips, you should eat healthily to prevent skin peeling on your feet. In case the above tips fail to stop the peeling of your skin, do consult your dermatologist.
Tips to Avoid Peeling Skin on Feet:
Some of the tips to avoid peeling skin are:
- Prevent Your Skin From Drying: The application of harsh chemicals or soaking up of the feet in acidic solutions or substances can cause excessive dryness on your skin which can in turn cause peeling and cracking of the foot. So it is advisable to wash your feet twice a day and dry it properly to control foot odor and prevent peeling and cracking of the heel.
- Have a Close Look at Your Feet: It is very necessary to keep inspecting your feet regularly, especially the areas in between your toes, and check for the signs of fungus present.
- The presence of conditions like Athlete’s foot and foot fungus is considered the main cause of peeling and itchy skin, especially in between the toes. The tendency of fungus is to spread and it could spread up to toenails and heels. If it is noticed in the beginning then it can be prevented from spreading onto the toenails and heels. Thus, it is very important to detect the fungus early on before it damages the skin.
- Change Your Shoes and Socks Regularly: It is very important to change your shoes and socks regularly and make sure that you do not use them before washing them. In case you suffer from excessive sweating on your feet, then it is advisable to apply foot powder directly on your feet, you can sprinkle some powder in your shoes too. This will keep your feet dry.
- Treat the Cuts, Fungal Infections, Abrasions, and Warts on the Heels and Feet: In order to maintain healthy and hygienic feet, it is very necessary to treat all sorts of infections present in your feet.
- It’s advisable to apply anti “fungal moisturizing foot cream which will not only eliminate the fungal infections but will also treat various other conditions like smelly feet, peeling skin, and cracked heels.